Thursday, November 6, 2014

Less Is More

"And again he said, 'To what should I compare the kingdom of God? It is like yeast that a woman took and mixed in with three measures of flour until all of it was leavened.'" (Luke 13:20-21)
This reminds me of the times I would spend trying to master my technique to make naan.  At first, I thought that I needed to put as much yeast as possible so that I could make a fluffy bread.  However, when I did that, the bread would just form into weird shapes and not be very fun to eat.  After a while, I learned that the best amount was just a little pinch.  Then, I would let the dough rise with the yeast before putting it to cook.  Now, I like to think along these lines with this parable, for it shows us how Gos works in our lives.  In fact, I remember Paul's saying that God will never put us through anything we cannot handle.  Thus, the yeast parable.  God puts the Spirit in us and gives us our ministries and missions. However, so long as we do not take on too much more than we could handle, after taking the time to learn how Gos speaks to us and how we are to serve our community, then we can become a very appetizing and successful bread.  We will become the best products of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment