Monday, May 16, 2016

Day 128: Love in a Community

"Let brotherly love continue.  Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels."  Hebrews 13:1-2
This is plain and simple: look after one another.

Don't we all have stories to tell one another?  We can talk about how we each have different challenges to face every single day.  One person can describe the pains of work.  Another can describe the pain of not having work.  Another can talk about loss.  Yet another can talk about the stresses of marriage.  We all have troubles.

When I read this, I thought about how important it is to stick together.  It's so important to make sure that our communities only get stronger and greater as the days go on.  We cannot allow for petty fights to divide us in this life.  Why entertain strangers, though?  I mean, we can never tell if they are going to be kind or rude.  We can't determine if they'll repay us.  In context, it almost seems that the second half of that verse was more of a concession.  Of course, we should always be prepared to entertain angels or people of the Lord.  But, at the same time, we shouldn't think of such a reward (a blessing) to be the sole purpose of our hospitality.  Instead, we should be thinking about what we need in this life.

I thank God for my family and friends, because they are all faithful to me, and I try my best to be faithful to them.  I have people who want to see me succeed, and I want to see all of them succeed.  My mom is the best example, who always looks out for me and always offers her help in so many different forms.  I hope that I can be the same way back to her. 

I appreciate that kind of support.  It might be contained within a small circle, but it is incredibly magnificent.  Now, I can't even imagine how much better life would be if everybody started supporting one another.  I know of so many different people who work in fields that I'll never be interested in or even knowledgeable of.  And, I appreciate when they can help, just as how I feel a joy in being able to offer my own services to people who need help in things that I am quite knowledgeable in.

Let's think more about the Kingdom of Heaven rather than our own personal gain in our lives.  Let's build up the Kingdom by circulating the brotherly love that we are all capable of giving.  Let's be more Christ-like.

No comments:

Post a Comment