Sunday, January 3, 2016

Day 003: Birthright

"And do not think to say to yourselves, 'We have Abraham as our father.' For I say to you that God is able to raise up children to Abraham from these stones." Matthew 3:9
When John speaks, he yells, and his teaching here is one of my all time favorite verses from the Bible.  His words are just as rough and unkempt as his own appearance, but they speak such a strong truth.
In the United States today, there are quite a few things that come from birthright, a few things that people who are born on American soil are entitled to: birth certificate, social security, citizenship the possibility of the presidency.  And this is something that many Americans like to show off.  Sure, it's great to be able to reap these benefits right from the cradle, but it's not something that everybody gets, or, in some instances (the reason I use the word entitlement), some people even deserve.  And if one of you readers think that this is getting gritty, let's take a look at this situation from the Gospel.

In the New Testament times, the Jews still maintained their view that only they who shared a common heritage back to Abraham were going to be saved.  They believed that they were entitled to the grace and mercy of God.  However, to further flaunt this point, they alienated themselves from the outsiders and, seemingly, preached that no matter what, they had Abraham as their ancestor.  I can even see how something like that can pan out today in different conflicts around the world.

And yet, when God sent God's Christ, God prepared all the people with a message of change, and, frankly, it was one that was uncomfortable to stomach: that the Messiah was sent to save all people. John, in the Gospel, tells everybody that, "Our family is growing, and the houses are being built, so get ready."  But who are building the houses?  Just before this verse, John preaches about living fruitfully.  Therefore, John demands for all of us who are in the family to start building the houses for the new members of the family.

So, when I look back at my nation, the United States, I constantly remind myself that it is such a blessing for me to have been born here, so that I may reap the birthright privileges.  But, I must also remember that my family before me fought so much just to get here, and that there are many people who are constantly fighting and struggling in the same way.  I hope and pray that I might be able to provide some sort of support for those who are struggling to become a part of this Great American Family, just as all of us are trying to become a part of the greater Kingdom of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment