Sunday, January 31, 2016

Day 031: Fulfillment

"The lips of righteous men understand lofty things, but men without discernment die in want." Proverbs 10:22
This proverb seems to be straightforward, but I end up asking, "Why would somebody want to go without discernment, then?"  We already have the facts that righteousness leaves us without want, but the proverb states that a lack of discernment is something that is real and possible.

Spiritual discernment is something that we all need to be aware about, because it can guide us in life.  I feel that spiritual discernment comes from a willingness to allow for the Holy Spirit to work in us and guide us in our lives.  But how do we make this work for us?

The answer comes from the first part, for the righteous understand lofty, high things.  It means that we need to be preparing our minds to start building up our understanding and knowledge.  It means that we need to devote ourselves more to the Holy Spirit.  And, of course, we are in a time when we have so many resources available to us, the chief of which is our bible.

I love the book of Proverbs because it makes me think about things.  Starting in Chapter 10, each verse brings me to think about an entirely new concept.  The catch, though, is to allow the proverb to live in me and through me.  I need to let the Holy Spirit guide me by the means of the words that I read.

When we prepare ourselves with reading, praying, meditating, and thinking, we can begin to comprehend the lofty things, the things that exist way past us.  We can start to understand the love of God, or the sacrifice of Jesus.  That preparation also allows us to invite the Holy Spirit to become a major driver of our lives.  And, when we let the Holy Spirit take control, we will be so fulfilled that we will not want anything else.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment