Sunday, January 24, 2016

Day 024: Magnified in the Name

"Some glory in chariots, some in horses, but in the name of the Lord our God we shall be magnified." Psalm 19:8 (20:7)
Over the past few weeks, I have been thinking about what it means to be a Christian.  What does it mean to believe in Jesus?  What separates my theology from that of other religions?  On top of all that, what does it mean to believe in the name of the Lord?

I don't think I will ever come to a definite answer, but my journey in this quest is very inspiring.  I enjoy seeing parallels with other religions and other denominations than my own.  Ultimately, though, I must say that verses like the one above speak lots to me.

Jesus revealed himself in the form of a man who used very challenging words.  I also like to believe that Jesus is all the wisdom that comes down to us from all of the Old Testament.  With that, I can start to understand more about my own beliefs: that the name of Jesus encompasses all of the wisdom and knowledge of the world.

I love knowledge and wisdom.  I love to read these challenging passages.  I also love to read these verses that reaffirm my faith, for they say that there is no other name that will magnify us.  And it is so true!  By taking time to read the Bible, to meditate on the word, to pray and listen, and to observe how others are communicating with God, we all learn more about ourselves.  We can find peace in a world that doesn't want us to have it.  We can find joy in a world that doesn't have it.  We can improve ourselves in a world that wants us only to fail.

We need the strong arms of God to lift us up and carry us along.  When we rely on the treasures of this world, the horses (or things that give us horsepower) or the chariots, all the riches that the world wants us to believe we could have, we fall.  However, when we take the challenge and reach for God who is already reaching for us, we will find ourselves growing and going in so many different directions.

No comments:

Post a Comment