Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Day 067: Discipline

So He said to them, "This kind can come out by nothing but prayer and fasting."       Mark 9:29
This is a recurring theme from Jesus, and it emphasizes the importance of prayer and fasting in our life in faith.

Ever since I heard my Abuelito talk about the teacher-student relationship between Jesus and his disciples, I have read the Gospels with attention towards such a relationship.  When I read this, I thought about how Jesus must have felt after seeing his disciples asking him why they couldn't cast out a demon.  Jesus seems to respond in a way that a teacher would (and most definitely should): they were not doing what he had taught them.

The disciples were students of living a spiritual life, above all else.  When I think of that, I begin to think about how Jesus' statement can apply to other aspects of my life.  Prayer and fasting are foundations to living faithfully, but they are also disciplines (things disciples should teach and follow).  When I think of it that way, I think about the other images from this passage.  The demon in the story is every doubt that we have in our own lives.  The demon doesn't have to be something that possesses us in the way the bible shows, but demons loom all about us, and many times we fall slaves to them.  Self-doubt is a demon that I have to face quite regularly, especially as a musician.  It doesn't only manifest itself in me as doubt, but it also overtakes me in every aspect of my life.  My practicing becomes vain.  My lessons become hopeless.  I lose all confidence, even downplaying my own talents before every person that I meet.  It's a show of helplessness.

Prayer and fasting, discipline, are what will cast out demons from all around us.  We need to become better disciplined in whatever we pursue.  If it's weight loss, we have to keep up with our dieting and exercising.  If it is an art, it is practice and dedication.  If it is a relationship, it is communication and faith.  We are called to become more disciplined in our lives so that we can take control.

This Lent, take some time to turn your life into one where you can have confidence in yourself.  Pray for guidance from God so that God can help you cast out all the demons that plague your life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment