Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Day 068: Charitable Giving

"For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though He was rich, yet for your sakes He became poor, that you through His poverty might become rich."                        2 Corinthians 8:9
Paul does a very good job at giving us some very concrete images for some otherwise complex subjects.  I feel that many people like to downplay the importance that many of the writers in the bible placed on giving.  And this is not just giving offerings to God or the temple, but also giving to others (which can be seen as a form of godly giving).

In order to explain the importance of this giving, though, Paul begins by explaining that Jesus gave us everything.  Jesus became poor so that we might become rich.  And that's the ultimate sign of grace and mercy from God.  Despite the fact that we have been shown so much mercy, we decide many times to run away with what we are given.  We want to put all that God has given us in place just for our own benefit.  But that's not what Jesus did.  Jesus suffered more than any of us has and handed himself over so that he could die on our behalf, so that he could be offered in our place.

We are called, therefore, to perpetuate this mercy towards all of those around us.  We are called to show mercy to those who haven't been shown it by all of those above them.  We are called to be support for those who have lost it all.  We are called to bring up those who have been trampled on the ground.

Paul gives an interesting caveat, though, saying that we are not supposed to burden ourselves so that others may become higher than us.  When I think about all the types of support that Jesus has given me, I think about how many different ways I can give to those around me who are in need.  I am by no means the richest person out there, and I don't think that I ever will be.  Yet, I know that I have been blessed to be able to pursue my own dreams without worrying so much about finances, thanks to my mom and grandparents who have supported me in so many different ways.  How can I give?  I can bring others to God, because that's how I find comfort in difficult times, and who doesn't want comfort in the difficult times?  I can volunteer my time to help those in need.  I can dedicate so much of what I am towards my neighbors.

In the same way, we are all called to give to our neighbors in different ways.  Sure, money might seem to be the easiest way because of the fact that it can be transformed into so many different things.  However, just as we are going to read this upcoming Sunday, any gift that we give will be gladly accepted before God, for God will transform each gift into something magnificent.

Take some time this Lent to see what time or talents you have that you can give to those who are in need.  In fact, look around you to see who is close to you who might be in need.  Spend time with your relatives who don't get company that often.  Talk to those of your friends who might seem down.  Be a support to your neighbors.

No comments:

Post a Comment